Mission & History
Spy Hop exists because we believe the next generation has a lot to say. And, we believe that when armed with awareness and knowledge, youth can speak more articulately and with greater impact.
Spy Hop’s mission is to mentor young people in the digital media arts to help them find their voice, tell their stories, and be empowered to affect positive change in their lives, their communities, and the World.
In an effort to achieve this, Spy Hop has established the following fundamental programmatic goals.
- Provide high-quality, safe out-of-school-time programming for K-12 youth.
- Foster personal and artistic expression through the use of emerging digital technologies and the media arts.
- Develop 21st century educational and workplace readiness skills.
- Promote positive youth development and social and emotional competencies.
- Increase media literacy, personal awareness and community and global connections.
For nearly 15 years, Spy Hop has mentored Utah’s young people in the digital media arts as a vehicle for free expression, self-discovery, critical thinking and skilled participation. Our afterschool and community programs in film, audio, design and music production are a model for youth development programs across the nation and Spy Hop is recognized by the White House as a leading nonprofit arts and humanities organization.
SPY • HOP (v): The act in which a dolphin rises above the water in order to navigate and determine its position in relation to other members of the pod. 2. To look ahead. 3. To tune in.