Horizonte students create a chalk mural for Adobe
May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month. Spy Hop students from the Horizonte, Rose Park location worked with Nate Baldwin to create a chalk mural for Adobe. Students learn how to create a large installation: brainstorm ideas, create a design, take concept art and transfer to a large scale wall, work with a team on a common creative project and validate their creativity.
- A strong upward composition was chosen to reflect growth and positive transformation.
- Melted colors, dripping upwards. These symbolize the variety of colors or diverse cultures of the Asian Pacific American Heritage. The melting was drawn from the “melting pot” concept. As the colors form into ‘drops’, they form into fists, representing the strong concept of protest and solidarity.
- The drops of color merge into the roots of a cherry blossom tree. The roots, quite literally represent cultural roots, and abstractly resemble noodles.
- The Cherry blossom tree is a common representation of Japanese art and culture. The blossoms are in full bloom and are being shed from the tree, floating upwards and transforming into stars in the night sky. At the top center of the composition is the North Star. The entire movement from the paint up through the tree are all moving towards the North Star, representing the seaward journey and navigation of these people, both in their literal migrations to America as well as their current-day navigation through life and their identities in relation to their cultural origins.
- Emerging beside the tree on either side are a chinese dragon and a polynesian-style Stingray.
- The Dragon is a common representation of Chinese art and culture. It represents prosperity and luck. The dragon is holding a pearl, which represents many things including wisdom and prosperity.
- The Stingray is a common representation in Polynesian cultures. Stingrays represent family, and the design incorporates many other symbols common to polynesian designs such as tortoise shells (protection), people, ferns (life), spirals (growth), tiki hands, lizard (resiliency).
- Finally, the bottom right corner of the composition shows seals for Adobe, Spy Hop, Rose Park and Horizonte.
May 09, 2018 at 09:58AM
Open in Evernote