Make the video game YOU want to create. Let your passion guide your programming and game design. This is not your regular old high school game design class. It’s so much more.
Pitch the game idea you’re passionate about to a group of industry professionals. Work with a team of other teens to design, program, and produce a video game. In 10 months, you’ll build rapid prototypes, game ideas, art and assets, and learn game mechanics, C#, and Unity game engine. Build your professional portfolio, network with industry pros, and launch the Power Up video game at an official launch party next July.
What happens in this program:
- Creating art and assets for games
- Learning C# programming language
- Building game mechanics
- Using components, game objects, and navigating a game engine
- Thinking critically about games Including classroom discussions comparing AAA games and Indie games
- Learning how to disrupt the traditional stereotype of game development
- Everyone on the team develops an idea for a game
- Everyone builds rapid game prototypes
- Everyone pitches their game to Industry Professionals and gets feedback
- Teens build a gaming portfolio and become a game studio
- Your team will publish a game, with an end of program party to celebrate!
This class requires an interview with the teaching mentor prior to being accepted into the class. The interview is simply a way for the mentor and student to get to know each other and to assess interests, skill level, and set expectations for the program. Prospective students will be notified prior to the start of class of their acceptance into the program. The teaching mentor for the Power Up will contact prospective students directly at least 2 weeks prior to the program start date to schedule interviews for Fall 2023.