Applications for Reel Stories 2022 will be available in March 2022!
REEL Stories gives you the chance to tell your story to the world. You will write, direct, and edit your own, five-minute documentary film that speaks to who you are, what you’re into, and where you live. If you have the passion and dedication to give to us, we will give back intensive training in pre-production, shooting, sound design, and editing. Reel Stories will be offered as a daily in-person workshop (Mon – Thurs) at the Kahlert Youth Media Arts Center. Fridays will be reserved for independent work time and individual check-in meetings via Zoom. At the end of the class, your finished film will premiere in a community screening complete with audience Q & A. No prior film experience is needed.
What Happens in this Class:
- Learn the basics of documentary filmmaking including conceptualizing an idea and style, camera, sound, interviewing techniques, and editing
- Develop and produce your own 5-minute documentary project
- Explore, investigate, and creatively interpret a story that you care about in your community
- Work together as a small class to support each other’s projects, giving and receiving feedback, helping with shoots, and reflecting on the process together
- Share your film at a community screening and Q&A