Voices of the West Apprenticeship Program
In partnership with the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Spy Hop is able to bring the Voices of the West to rural regions of Utah.
The Future Belongs to You!
Now is the time to give yourself a head start and gain media production skills this summer through a paid media production apprenticeship with Spy Hop. We are seeking students ages 13-19 in Tooele, Blanding, Vernal, and Hurricane/La Verkin to enroll in a 1-week project-based program. Spy Hop’s professional teaching artists will provide instruction and training through hands-on projects using professional gear and software, all you need is excitement and a willingness to learn! Students who successfully complete the 1-week program will receive a $200 stipend.
Over the course of 1-week you will:
- Learn professional pre-production; write your story, plan your shot list, schedule your interviews, etc.
- Learn narrative and documentary filmmaking techniques
- Learn how to use music and sound to enhance your films
Gear & Equipment
Spy Hop staff will bring industry professional gear to each location. Below is an example of the gear packages we bring to each location.
- T3i Camera
- Tascam Recorder
- 3 X Headphones
- Shotgun Mic
- Boom Pole
- Headphone Splitter
- 1 MacBook pro
Spy Hop is following the updated CDC guidelines in regard to COVID-19 and mask-wearing. Fully vaccinated individuals can go without masks indoors. Unvaccinated individuals should continue wearing masks. We ask that all Voices of the West participants follow the same guidelines. In addition, we hold ourselves and each other accountable to the following protocols. We care about each other and our community, this is our commitment to do our best for the safety of everyone.
- Masks. Masks should be worn by unvaccinated individuals.
- Symptoms? If you have any COVID-19 symptoms please stay home.
- Social distancing. Social distancing guidelines will be followed when possible including during travel, projects, and lunch/snack breaks.
- Hands. Please follow good hygiene practices and wash often or use hand sanitizer.
- Rapid testing. Spy Hop staff will undergo COVID-19 rapid testing prior to travel.